Hello Subscription independently researches and reviews the best subscriptions and products. Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.
Atlas Crate by KiwiCo ReviewsUpdated July 16, 2023
Atlas Crate by KiwiCo
Atlas Crate is a monthly subscription that helps your child explore global cultures through amazing, hands-on STEAM projects. If you want your child to connect with other communities and customs both creatively and intellectually, then Atlas Crate is for you. Designed by experts for children ages 6 to 11, your child will have a blast venturing across the world with Atlas Crate.
Save 30% on your first month! Use this link to get the deal.
Subscribing to Atlas Crate
Children love adventure. Seeing new places and experiencing new things is thrilling. Their natural curiosity spurs them toward discovery. With Atlas Crate, you can harness the excitement of travel at home.
With each monthly box, your child will learn about global cultures from Madagascar to Nepal to Peru. Just like all KiwiCo products, Atlas Crate is designed by experts to ensure that the activities are immersive and educational. Then they’re tested by kids to make sure they’re engaging and fun!
Your child will complete creative projects while honing problem-solving and critical-thinking skills. Whether it’s making a koinobori fluttering carp windsock for Japan’s Children’s Day celebration or building a table soccer game while learning about Brazil, your child will have the opportunity to explore countries by completing hands-on activities. Learning about geography and world cultures is easy and fun with Atlas Crate!
How Atlas Crate Works
Atlas Crate is from KiwiCo, a company started by an engineer and mother of three dedicated to making amazing educational projects for children of all ages. KiwiCo is focused on inspiring the next generation of thinkers and innovators.
Each month, you’ll get a box jam-packed with all the materials and guidance your child will need to go on a world adventure. You’ll get two globally inspired STEAM projects plus Atlas cards, an Atlas Adventure Book, and more.
Children on the older side of the age range–it’s for kids ages 6 to 11–will be able to complete these projects independently. Younger kids will likely require some adult support.
The goal, though, is for your child to take ownership of activities that the whole family can enjoy. That’s why you enter your child’s name, birth date, and address when you order–every box is addressed to them. Kids love to get mail and will be thrilled to see Atlas Crate show up each month!
The first package will ship about two days after your order is placed. You can always switch, pause, or cancel your subscription should you wish to do so.
How Much Does Atlas Crate Cost?
Atlas Crate subscriptions start at $18.50 per month. You receive greater discounts the longer you commit to subscribing.
For automatic renewal, a one-month subscription is $23.95, a three-month subscription is $21.95, a six-month subscription is $19.95, and a twelve-month subscription is $18.50. The three-month subscription is the most popular option, and the twelve-month subscription offers the most savings. Term subscriptions are available at a higher cost.
Shipping varies in the U.S. Plus, you’re eligible for a discount on your first box of Atlas Crate right now. Just click this link!
Are you interested in Atlas Crate but hesitant to subscribe? Then you can check out everything the KiwiCo Store has to offer. From individual crates to crate packs, educational toys, activities, and more, the KiwiCo Store has all the joyful learning experiences with zero commitment.
Atlas Crate: Benefits and Drawbacks
All KiwiCo products have received praise from parents and educators alike for their thoughtful approach to providing outstanding activities for curious young minds.
Here are all the positive aspects of subscribing to Atlas Crate:
- Easy and convenient: This is a “one-stop shop” for projects your child will love. You don’t have to plan or go out and buy materials–everything arrives on your doorstep ready to go. The instructions are always detailed and clear, meaning that you and your child get to focus on doing the project rather than interpreting the instructions.
- Range of cultures: Atlas Crate doesn’t just focus on certain parts of the world. Your child will learn about the history, customs, and traditions of countries in South America, Asia, Europe, Africa, and more.
- Easy to switch: Atlas Crate is made for children ages 6 to 11. Children at this age are developing new interests all the time. One week everything’s dinosaurs, the next week they’re fascinated by outer space. When your child’s interests evolve, KiwiCo will have another crate perfect for them. Whether they get into science, art, or cooking, you can easily switch your subscription to meet their interests.
- High-quality materials at a reasonable cost: KiwiCo offers some of the most affordable subscriptions geared toward children around. But they never sacrifice the quality of their products. All the materials you receive with each box are made to last. And if you ever have any issues, you can always reach out to their customer service team.
- Made by experts, tested by children: You can rest easy knowing that every box is tied to specific STEAM learning outcomes. By subscribing to Atlas Crate, your child won’t only discover knowledge about other cultures, they’ll also sharpen their skills in areas like navigation and geography. Kids test out all the activities to ensure that they’re just as fun and rewarding as they appear!
On the other hand, if your child has little to no interest in history, geography, or culture, then you may want to look elsewhere. Fortunately, KiwiCo offers the Yummy Crate for those 6 to 14 who like cooking and Kiwi Crate for science and art lovers ages 5 to 8. For bigger kids interested in engineering, drawing, and more, there are a wide variety of other choices available.
If your child is always involved in extracurriculars like athletics or theater, you may want to wait on Atlas Crate for when they’re less busy. These activities do take a bit of time. They’re best when you as a parent can participate as well. Make sure to set aside time to open the box and see all it has to offer with your child.
Is Atlas Crate Worth It?
Yes! For children who want to explore the world, Atlas Crate is the perfect choice. These unique STEAM-focused activities are made to inspire kids to learn more about the world we live in. With global literacy more important in today’s world than ever before, you can get your child started on the right foot with Atlas Crate.
Kids are thrilled to see what’s in the box every month. Each crate’s contents are tailor made to be age appropriate and engaging. Just let your kid loose on these well-organized, easy-to-complete projects and have a great time! Our readers agree–KiwiCo was named one of the Best Subscription Boxes for Kids in 2022!
Maximizing Your Atlas Crate Subscription
If you want to get the most out of your subscription, you can choose KiwiCo’s Deluxe package. This includes a book hand-picked by the company’s editors each month that’s educational and engaging.
Did Atlas Crate encourage your child to learn more about a particular country? Great! Inspiring young learners is what KiwiCo is all about. Nurture your child’s curiosity by supporting them in discovering more about the countries they’re interested in.
You should also take advantage of the discounts KiwiCo makes available. By ordering your first subscription now, you can save on your first box!
What’s Inside an Atlas Crate?
Every time an Atlas Crate shows up at your door, your child will have an immersive, hands-on experience that will help them connect with new places and people. Each box contains two hands-on projects or activities, step-by-step instructions, a copy of explore! magazine, and other extras.
Your child will receive an Adventure Book where they can commemorate all their “journeys” with stickers, maps, and more. Think of it like their passport for global travel.
Let’s take a look at a couple of examples:
- World Crate: The first box starts your child’s journey where they’ll meet travel buddies Anya and Milo. Your child will build a real spinning globe! They’ll also collect Atlas cards to make their own travel book that includes interesting facts and photos.
- Japan Crate: Your child will jump into Japanese culture with this box. Become part of the Children’s Day celebration by fashioning a koinobori fluttering carp windsock. Then use a mini mallet to play the traditional game of daruma otoshi. Check out Japanese cuisine by making yummy onigiri rice balls. Your child’s travel book will expand with pages of amazing activities and insights on Japan!
- Nepal Crate: This box includes projects like making your own fluffy yak and building a Bagh Chal board game. You’ll also get an easy-to-follow recipe for Sikarni, a popular dessert, as well as a colorful, illustration-rich book exploring the country’s history and culture.
- Peru Crate: It’s time to join Milo and Anya in discovering Peru! Your child will make a model alpaca and weave a mini blanket with a chullo hat. An ancient tossing game called sapo is also included along with materials to make your own Nazca Line art.
At the end of each project, your child will have made something they can play with, like a board game or musical instrument, or an object they can display on a shelf, like the globe. KiwiCo’s products are made out of high-quality materials so that they will last.
Little Passports is a subscription service geared toward kids three and up that focuses on geography, foreign cultures, and STEM. The cost of Little Passports is $23.95 to $27.95 per box, which is a bit more than Atlas Crate. Little Passports subscribers get a packed suitcase every month that includes maps, luggage tags, stickers, and a welcome letter for a global destination.
The biggest difference between the two is that Atlas Crate is more focused on hands-on activities. Your child will be exposed to new cultures with either subscription, but Atlas Crate provides a project-based learning experience.
Atlas Crate is designed for kids ages 6 to 11. If you feel like it’s too advanced for your child, you can always check out KiwiCo’s other options for younger kids like Koala Crate. In the event that your kid isn’t challenged enough or isn’t interested in Atlas Crate, there are plenty of choices for older children like the Tinker Crate and the Maker Crate.
As with all other KiwiCo subscriptions, you can pause, switch, or cancel at any time. Just log in to your account and follow the steps provided. This allows your KiwiCo subscription to grow with your child. If they become more interested in science, cooking, math, or something else, there’s a KiwiCo crate for them!
Typically, an Atlas Crate will arrive on your doorstep three to ten business days after you place your order. Shipping varies in the U.S.
Shipping is also available for some international countries. This comes at a cost of about $5-6 per box.
Yes. You can both purchase a subscription to Atlas Crate as a gift for a child or buy individual crates from the KiwiCo Store as a gift. If you’d like to wrap the gift and give it to the child yourself, just use your address. Remember to check the box stating the item is a gift so that you can write a personalized message.
If you’ve ever been to Disney’s Epcot Center, you know how thrilling it is to have a taste of every country around the world at your fingertips. Atlas Crate offers exciting activities that will help your child understand world cultures through games, traditions, food, and more. Who knows, maybe your child will grow up to be a global jetsetter?
Are you ready to take a journey you won’t soon forget? Then sign up for an Atlas Crate subscription to start the adventure!