Hello Subscription independently researches and reviews the best subscriptions and products. Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.
Yummy Crate by KiwiCo ReviewsUpdated October 23, 2023
Yummy Crate by KiwiCo
Yummy Crate is the perfect way to spend quality time with your child while making a delicious meal. This monthly subscription from KiwiCo will get your kid excited about the science of cooking. Yummy Crate’s goal is to nurture children’s creativity and curiosity through a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) based approach. Experience the joy of making and sharing a meal with Yummy Crate’s delicious recipes and enriching activities!
Save 30% on your first month! Use this link to get the deal.
Subscribing to Yummy Crate
If your kid can’t get enough of foodie shows and is always following you into the kitchen, maybe it’s time to get them involved in cooking. That said, it can be complicated figuring out how to introduce them to the kitchen. Meal prep isn’t always suited for kids, with some of it being dangerous or difficult. You may throw up your hands and just have them set the table.
That’s where Yummy Crate comes in. Getting children pumped about making delicious meals is easy and fun when you subscribe to Yummy Crate. With kid-friendly recipes, fascinating activities, and much more, your child will soon be honing their skills in the kitchen while learning about the science of cooking.
Yummy Crate is from the folks at KiwiCo, a subscription service dedicated to providing fun, educational experiences that has shipped more than 30 million crates across the world. Yummy Crate is made for kids ages 6 to 14 to gain confidence in the kitchen with expert-designed recipes made to spark joy in the preparation and sharing of a meal. At the same time, each activity includes big scientific ideas in biology and chemistry.
This has all the ingredients for family bonding time, and you’ll have a blast helping your child get creative and experimental with cooking. With recipes like smashed potatoes, chicken tenders, and fluffy pancakes, learning never tasted so good!
How Does a Yummy Crate Subscription Work?
Every month, a package will land on your doorstep jam-packed with:
- 3 family-friendly recipes
- 2 STEAM activities to encourage learning in and out of the kitchen
- Specialty cooking tools
- A shopping list allowing you to adjust recipes according to your preferences
- A copy of Yummy Zine with history, fun facts, comics, and more
Kids aren’t required to stand over a stove while preparing the meals, but having them follow the recipes and learn lessons along the way will keep them engaged. This crate is made to get kids learning independently and focuses on sharpening those all-important problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
While there are recipes to follow, Yummy Crate often pushes kids to experiment and think outside the box. You can adjust the challenge based on your child’s level. For example, you might ask them to double a recipe to serve a whole family. Or you might have them think of substitutions if you don’t have a specific ingredient. As much as possible, allow your child to take the reins in preparing the meal but feel free to step in if they get frustrated.
Getting your child started on cooking now means they will develop skills to last a lifetime. Yummy Crate is a great way to improve these essential life skills that will serve your child well into the future.
Price Options for Yummy Crate
Yummy Crate costs $18.50 to $23.95 per month for automatically renewing subscriptions. With more of a commitment, you’ll receive more savings. A one-month commitment is $23.95 per month; a three-month commitment is $21.95 per month; a six-month commitment is $19.95 per month; and a one-year commitment is $18.50 per month. Term subscriptions–which do not automatically renew–are also available for higher prices.
Shipping varies in the U.S. Take advantage of savings on your first crate right now with this discounted offer!
Benefits and Drawbacks of Yummy Crate
For parents who want to share the joy of cooking with their kids, Yummy Crate is a natural choice. Our readers love KiwiCo, which was selected as one of our Best Subscription Boxes for Kids in 2022. Here’s what they’re saying about the pros of Yummy Crate:
- Kid-friendly setup: When it comes to introducing your child to cooking, you may not know where to start. Instead of giving them menial chores, you can get them excited about cooking with kid-tested–and tasted!–recipes that are sure to delight.
- Educational: Your child will become more confident and knowledgeable in the kitchen, but that’s just the start. STEAM-focused activities make learning about the science of cooking fun. For example, your child will learn about the Maillard reaction and how it makes toasted marshmallows so tasty!
- Customizable: Each box contains an easy-to-use shopping list. It also allows for plenty of customization so you can tailor each recipe to your dietary needs.
- Designed by experts: Child development and education experts spend more than 1,000 hours developing every crate. This ensures that every activity is universally appealing and meets specific learning outcomes.
- Detailed, step-by-step instructions: KiwiCo prides themselves on providing outstanding instructions that are both a visual delight and easy to follow. The intention is for kids to be able to pick up these recipes and complete them with minimal assistance.
- Fun for the whole family: Bonding with your child over making a meal together can be a special experience. Yummy Crate is best when it’s shared with the whole family–both in preparation and when it’s time to eat!
- Customer service: If you ever have an issue with a KiwiCo product, just contact their Customer Care team, available by email, phone, or online chat. A representative will be able to help you quickly.
There are some instances where Yummy Crate might not be right for your child. If your kid isn’t a big eater or shows little interest in the kitchen, you might select a different KiwiCo crate. They have a ton of options in science, geography, arts, and more!
You may like the idea of Yummy Crate but balk at the idea of having another subscription. Fortunately, the KiwiCo Store offers individual crates along with toys, activities, and more.
Is Yummy Crate Worth It?
We’ve all had the experience of our child storming into the kitchen to “help” and inevitably spilling food all over the floor. Yummy Crate takes that earnest energy your child has and puts it to good use. Faster than you think, your child will be preparing tasty meals and soaking up knowledge on the science of cooking with Yummy Crate.
The bottom line is that if you want your child to become more familiar with and excited about meal preparation, then Yummy Crate is an ideal choice. Plus they’ll get to experiment hands-on–whether it’s investigating the effect of pH on pizza dough or designing artistic creations with pancake art, Yummy Crate is an interactive STEAM experience.
What’s Inside a Yummy Crate?
Every box will show up at your doorstep with recipes, special cooking tools, activities, a magazine, and extras. Let’s take a peek inside a few Yummy Crates and see what we find.
- Rise & Shine: Ever wonder how bread transforms to become light and airy? This crate is all about how bakers work. Your child will make fluffy pancakes with strawberry syrup. STEAM concepts are incorporated via a fizzy kitchen experiment and a pancake tossing game!
- Tasty & Toasty: This box focuses on the Maillard reaction, or the browning reaction such as what happens when making toast. This crate comes with a burger press and potato smasher as its kid-friendly cooking tool, which makes shaping burger patties easy and fast. The three recipes included are for chicken tenders, browned burgers, and smashed potatoes. There’s also a pizza dough experiment and much more.
- Bright & Delightful: Discover healthy and colorful phytonutrients with this month’s box. Recipes include Korean rice bowl bibimbap, fruity rainbow smoothies, and savory salmon skewers. Also comes with a DIY produce power wash and a fruits and veggies game.
Each crate focuses both on developing discrete cooking skills as well as supporting kids in learning about the phenomena behind cooking. Some will even have your children making their own menus based on the dinners they create!
Yummy Crate Insider Tips
One important thing to remember is that KiwiCo provides plenty of dietary options for each recipe. There are versions available for vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free, and more.
Each recipe also comes with a shopping list for ingredients. This makes it easy to quickly get everything you need. You can even have your kid help you shop so that they take ownership of the activity.
If you’re looking for discounts, KiwiCo offers plenty of them, so it’s worth checking in regularly. Click on this link to get savings on your first order!
Frequently Asked Questions
Raddish is another kids’ cooking subscription service that comes with illustrated directions, kitchen tools, and culinary skill lessons. They offer an all-in-one guide for family cooking with healthy meal options.
Yummy Crate helps kids learn both the practical aspect of cooking as well as the science behind it. Raddish costs $20 to $24 per month, which is slightly more expensive than Yummy Crate, which comes in at $18.50 to $23.95 monthly.
Foodstirs is made for those who love to bake and make creative desserts. Each box comes with a themed baking kit and recipe as well as activity cards and supplies. Though they’re focused on baked goods and desserts, Foodstirs has many low-sugar and organic options.
If your child is interested in baking rather than cooking, Foodstirs might be a good choice. A monthly Foodstirs subscription is $34.98 per month, compared to Yummy Crate’s $18.50 to $23.95 per month.
Yummy Crate is made for children ages 6 to 14.
Yes. Every recipe comes with guidelines on how to make meatless and gluten-free versions.
You can pause, switch, or cancel your subscription at any time by logging in to your KiwiCo account.
If your child suddenly has an intense interest in art, science, geography, engineering, or something else, there’s a KiwiCo crate that’s perfect for them. All you have to do is switch your subscription and check out what the Tinker Crate, Eureka Crate, or Atlas Crate has to offer.
Yes. All KiwiCo subscriptions ship to many countries around the world. Check to see how much it costs to ship to your country before ordering.
When you put in your order, your crate will ship about two days later. For U.S. addresses, it usually takes three to ten business days for your order to arrive on your doorstep.
Subscription crates cannot be returned. The KiwiCo Store accepts returns if the box’s contents have not yet been used or damaged. All returns must be processed within 60 days of receipt to qualify for a full refund.
If you ever have any problem with your subscription, you can always contact the KiwiCo Customer Care team. They’re available seven days a week by phone, email, or online chat to help address any issues you may have. The Customer Care team’s hours are Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST, and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.
Go to the KiwiCo website for more information.
If you want to create lasting memories in the kitchen with your child, then Yummy Crate is here to help. With fun recipes that deliver in the taste department, your child will be thrilled every time a box arrives at your home. They’ll have a blast creating delicious dishes while learning about the scientific principles of cooking.
Ready to subscribe to Yummy Crate? Get a discount on your first box by ordering now!