Hello Subscription independently researches and reviews the best subscriptions and products. Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.
Tea Runners ReviewsUpdated March 23, 2023
Savor top-quality, award-winning loose-leaf tea delivered to your door. Every month, Tea Runners curates four pouches of tea with accompanying tasting notes and brewing instructions. You can choose their selections or customize your own box. Tea Runners has sampled more than 1,000 teas and sends nothing but the best to you, including rare teas from small-batch producers.
Subscribing to Tea Runners
There’s nothing quite like cozying up with a good book, a soft blanket, and a steaming hot cup of tea. If the offerings at your local grocery store aren’t living up to your expectations, then Tea Runners can help. Their offerings include pure teas, blended/flavored teas, and herbal teas. You’ll have the opportunity to discover new, exciting tastes every month with this membership.
Don’t take our word for it: Tea Runners has been recommended by everyone from Good Housekeeping and Wired to Food & Wine and USA Today. Subscribers say that it leads to more adventurous tea drinking and that they’re surprised and delighted each time a box arrives at their doorstep. They love the range of teas available as well as the customization options–and, of course, the delicious tea!
Tea Runners’ curated selection of teas is second to none. You’ll learn more about the brewing process and different types of teas from around the world. Whether you’re a new tea drinker or you’re just looking to expand your palate, Tea Runners is for you.
How a Tea Runners Membership Works
Tea Runners gives you four boxes to choose from:
- Tea Runners Original Box: The company’s popular offering includes a wide range of tea types, including pure teas, blended/flavored teas, and herbal teas. This is the best choice if you want to discover a variety of teas.
- Pure Tea Box: This contains only high-grade pure teas, so no herbal or blended/flavored teas. There’s an incredible range of flavors in pure black, white, green, oolong, yellow, and pu-erh teas.
- All Black Tea Box: This includes only black teas including blended, pure, and flavored black teas. If you love black tea, this one’s for you!
- Herbal Tea Box: Many people can’t get enough of the soothing qualities of herbal teas like Rooibos, peppermint, chamomile, honeybush, fruit and berry blends, and more. This is perfect for those who want to enjoy caffeine-free herbal teas. Many of these teas come with health-improving effects as well.
Each box includes four different types of tea and makes about 30 to 50 cups, depending on how strong you take your tea. Teas in the Original Box are only repeated after 8 to 12 months; with all other boxes, teas may repeat every 6 to 8 months.
If making loose-leaf tea is old hat for you, then you should have everything you need to start a Tea Runners membership. But if you’re a newbie, there are a few things to keep in mind.
First of all, because you’re using loose-leaf tea and not tea bags, you will need a tea infuser or strainer. Second, while you can heat water any way you like, it’s preferable to have a tea kettle that includes a thermometer for best results. Fortunately, Tea Runners has all the teaware you need at their store.
How Much Does a Tea Runners Subscription Cost?
The Original Box, All Black Tea Box, and Herbal Tea Box all cost $25 per month. The Pure Tea Box costs $30 per month. You can choose whether you want one box per month, one box every two months, or one box every three months. Tea Runners offers FREE shipping for all subscribers in the U.S. and Canada!
Do you want to go on an adventure you won’t soon forget? Click here now and get a deal on your first box!
Pros & Cons of a Tea Runners Membership
- Variety: Members love the range of teas that they receive with every box. If you like to spice things up and change out your tea regularly, then this is the membership for you. They offer teas that you’d likely never find on your own, as some of them are difficult to obtain. And whenever you want more variety, a new package will show up at just the right time.
- Expertly chosen: Rather than selecting a random tea at the grocery store, you’ll receive a tea selected by experts. Many of these are internationally award-winning teas that are also rare.
- Teas to savor: Whether it’s the Moonlight Jasmine or Imperial Gold Needle, these teas deliver in the flavor department. If you like to make tea drinking a relaxing ritual–a slow brewing process, special cups or glasses, and lighting to set the mood–then the high-quality offerings from Tea Runners are a perfect pairing. Plus, almost all the teas are USDA Certified Organic, meaning that you can rest easy knowing your tea is supporting your health.
- Customization: Every box can be customized with more than 15 teas offered every month. This allows you to personalize the experience and never get bored with the teas on offer.
- While Tea Runners does what they can to keep costs down, this certainly isn’t as inexpensive as buying tea bags from the store. This membership is for those who thoroughly enjoy the full experience of brewing delicious, unique tea. If you’re content with drinking Lipton, then Tea Runners isn’t for you. Plus, each box includes 30 to 50 cups’ worth of tea, so it should be close to covering all your tea-drinking needs.
What’s in a Tea Runners Box?
Let’s take a look at a few examples of the award-winning teas you’ll enjoy when you become a Tea Runners member:
- Masala Chai: A mixture of black tea with aromatic spices from the Indian subcontinent. Chai is a beverage that has gained a global following, and the variety here is a blend of carefully selected spices–cinnamon, cardamom, clove, and ginger–with high-quality Assam black tea.
- Peach Ginger Detox Gold: This tea has the distinction of placing first in the Flavored Green Tea category at the Global Tea Championship. This detoxifying blend of the finest top-grade white tea, silver needles, and Formose oolong is blended with ginger and bits of peach for flavor. Known for boosting your metabolism and providing glowing skin, this tea can help you recover from jet lag.
- Dragon Claw Oolong: A pure tea, dragon claw oolong gets its moniker due to the claw-like unfurling of its leaves once they come into contact with water. This is a rich and malty tea that will unfold continuously as it seeps. Golden in color with notes of sweet and tart apricot, the savory, nutty finish of this oolong is not unlike a black tea.
- Cinnamon Plum: This is a juicy and full-bodied blend with a touch of cinnamon and licorice root spice. Drinkers say it’s like biting into a roasted, caramelized plum. This is one of Tea Runners’ caffeine-free herbal blends.
- High Mountain “Tu Cha” Black: Straight from the upper reaches of the Wu Yi Mountains, this is a niche black tea that has distinctly chocolatey notes. It’s a complex tea that will appeal both to everyday tea drinkers and newbies alike, with an ultra viscous, rich mouth feel.
Tips for New Tea Runners Members
Tea Runners supplies you with the most enjoyable experience in terms of loose-leaf tea. A subscription doesn’t supply you with the equipment to make tea. However, Tea Runners does offer plenty of teaware from a brew glass teapot to gorgeous tea glasses and what they term “The Perfect Teaspoon.” Check out their teaware to get the most out of your membership.
Let’s say you’re interested in Tea Runners, but you’re not sure if a membership is for you. You can shop all of their teas through their store. Whether you want to try Feng Qing China Red or Black Gold Biluochun, you can do so without getting a membership. Of course, Tea Runners is pretty confident that once you try these amazing teas, you’ll come back for more!
Should I Become a Tea Runners Member?
Do you like to savor a good cup of tea each day? Do you find yourself seeking out new teas and expanding your palate? Then it’s time to become a Tea Runners member. Take all the guesswork and hassle out of finding new teas–and instead let them just show up on your doorstep. You’ll love having flavorful, top-quality teas to try out every month. Who knows, maybe you’ll find a new favorite!
Are you ready to join Tea Runners? Click this link for a discount on your first box.
Another tea delivery service is Atlas Tea Club. This club focuses on teas from different countries around the world. Members get to select between green teas, pure teas, and black teas. You can also pick from caffeinated and decaffeinated varieties.
Atlas Tea Club is less expensive but also includes less tea. Reviewers say that this might be a good choice for a moderate tea drinker, whereas a daily tea drinker will appreciate the variety, quantity, and quality Tea Runners offers. Tea Runners also gets points for being a very customizable experience.
Verdant Tea Club is a subscription specifically designed to support small tea farms. The subscription works similarly to a CSA in that each month’s teas come from a single farmer. Verdant is slightly more expensive at $30 per month. That said, it offers a different experience than Tea Runners, which is focused on providing a tea adventure and greater customization for its members.
Tea Runners makes it easy to cancel your membership. Canceling a membership means no future renewals will occur; it does not prevent shipments that you’ve already paid for. If you have any problems canceling your account, simply contact customer service.
Yes. Gift subscriptions work the same as other subscriptions with a few caveats. Gift subscriptions do not renew automatically, so you will have to contact Tea Runners to have the membership renewed. The account is owned by the purchaser, not the recipient. However, gift recipients can create an account and customize their boxes. You can also send a gift message when the first box is shipped.
Every box comes with four pouches of different teas, with each pouch including .75 to 1.2 ounces of tea. Each box contains enough tea to make between 30 to 50 cups, depending on how strong you take your tea.
Yes. For those on monthly subscriptions, simply log in to your account, click Edit under Your Subscriptions, then click Skip Next Renewal. For those on longer term subscriptions, contact Tea Runners to skip a month.
All members receive FREE shipping to U.S. addresses. Tea Runners uses USPS First-Class Mail. Each parcel arrives roughly two to five days after it’s scanned by USPS. You’ll receive tracking information via an email link for each box.
Canadian subscribers also get free shipping via Canada Post and should expect delivery times to take four to six days in western Canada and nine to twelve days for eastern Canada.
International shipping is also available for select countries with an $8 per box fee.
For those whose love of a mug of tea runs deep, then Tea Runners is the perfect subscription. Each month you’ll receive a variety of top-quality, award-winning teas to savor. Whether you’re a fan of flavorful black teas or soothing herbal teas, there’s something here for every kind of tea drinker.
To start your membership today and get a coupon for your first box, check out Tea Runners’ site.
Tea Runners Reviews + Ratings
Be the first to review!